Are you wondering on what you can eat on weekends with your friends? I would definitely say that you should try banana cake with sour cream which can be cooked in 25 minutes! That is not a lot of time, right?
I know what you are thinking of ‘Come on, another banana cake! ‘But stop! Chill 😁
The recipe which I am going to tell you is different and the outcome will absolutely satisfy you)
Why we will use sour cream in cake?
First of all let me tell you why we will use sour cream in cake. When we use creamy texture of sour cream, it makes baked goods more moist. So that is why the sour cream is an excellent choice. Likewise, sour cream can also be served as a suitable substitute for other ingredients like yogurt or regular cream. Note that sour cream has a higher fat content than buttermilk or milk, so you can replace with a light or fat-free version. If you do, you’ll notice a slight change in flavor. The creamy texture may also be compromised.
What is the different between banana bread and banana cake?
As you have already noticed, there is big difference between banana bread and banana cake, you can even see it in their names. Banana bread is made with mashed bananas, regarding banana cake, it is made of bananas too but they are main ingredient in this recipe. Overall, the main difference between them is that banana bread is firmer and denser than banana cake.
Does sour cream add moistness to a cake?
The short answer is ‘YES’. Adding sour cream or buttermilk gives more moisture and flavor to the cake. The acid in sour cream produces fine crumb because it tenderize the gluten in the flour. Sour cream adds so much richness so it makes cakes super moist
Is banana bread actually cake?
My answer is ‘No’. As I have mentioned earlier in the article, the banana bread is banana bread and banana cake is banana cake. They are two different things and can’t be compared completely. So please be careful when you will be researching for the recipe. I do not want you to be confused at the end.😁
Okay no more words let’s get straight to the point!
Ingredients that we will need in out process:
- 125 g butter, softened
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ cups self –raising flour
- 1 cup mashed banana( you will need 2 large, very ripe bananas
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 eggs at room temperature
Make sure to have all of the ingredients before starting. Now let’s start the cooking process.
Step by Step Method:
- Step 1: First of all, reheat oven to 180°C. Grease base and sides of a 7 cm deep, 19 cm square cake pan and line with baking paper.
- Step 2: Secondly, with the help of electric mixer please beat butter, sugar and vanilla until they look pale and creamy. After beating, add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each. Using a metal spoon, gently fold in sour cream and bananas. Sift flour and bicarbonate of soda over batter and gently fold through.
- Step 3: After that, spoon butter into cake pan. Smooth surface. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Stand for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Step 4: In Conclusion, make icing Place chocolate and sour cream in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Likewise, heat, stirring constantly with a metal spoon, for 3 minutes or until smooth. Remove from heat. Stand for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Pour icing over cake, allowing it to drizzle down sides. Serve warm.
Banana cake with sour cream is one of my favorite cakes, so whenever my friends, relatives visit me, I cook it right away. As of today even if I do not have much free time to cook something special for my guests ( usually I just order food ) I try to cook Banana cake with sour cream even if I do not have any time, even if it is night, and the reason is simple, I just love this cake and cannot imagine my weekends without it.
Thank you for your interest and time!
If you would like to learn more recipes please make sure to have a look at my other cake recipes. Like
Thank you once again and have a great time cooking Banana Cake with Sour Cream!