In Texas Queso is not just a staple food and you will find it difficult to believe having to find a Texan who does not love the best queso recipe? It will be hard to find someone in Texas with the best alternative of a cheese dip. The origin of this dip was San Antonio so Texas is so happy about it to be on their restaurant’s menu. Because it’s the best-loved recipe for many, the best restaurants have offered this recipe for free to its customers without even requesting it.
Best Cheese For Queso?
The best Queso you can use mix American cheese that is shredded and a pepper jack. The purpose of American cheese in a Queso is to keep it melty creating a perfect consistency dip but pepper jack will add some sharpness having a bit of additional heat. American is highly recommended over cheddar but some use cheddar. If you use cheddar instead of American, then you will need to use additional milk to help in thinning it out even more and you will require to cook it for a little longer but on minimized heat. If then you are not interested in additional heat use Monterey jack instead of pepper jack.
Can I Use Velveeta?
For this recipe, Velveeta plays a great role like that of American cheese. Cut it into small cubes and add the pieces after the American cheese is getting into use. Slowly, add some milk as you might not need it with Velveeta. The Velveeta is a bit saltier than American cheese so don’t add excess salt just add little as you would tasting and continue seasoning from there.
Is There a Need For All Veggies?
The onions, jalapeno, tomatoes, green chili, garlic, green, and all the type of flavor and make this Queso the best. If you prefer more of Queso purist, then prefer to try it with minimal veggies first.
Ingredients For Best Queso Recipe:
- Olive oil (2 tablespoons)
- Small chopped onion (one is enough)
- Garlic (3 minced)
- One jalapeno (minced)
- American cheese (12 oz. shredded)
- Pepper jack (4 oz. shredded)
- One cup of milk
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper (fresh)
- One diced tomato (medium)
- One Green chili (4-oz)
- Chopped cilantro (1/4 cup)
- Tortilla chips (this is for serving)
Guidelines For Best Queso Recipe:
- Over a medium heat in a large skillet, we are going to ensure our oil is heated. We add the onions, cook for five minutes until they appear to be soft. Next is to add garlic as well as jalapeno for one minute until they seem to be fragrant. Stir adding some cheese and milk until the cheese is melted all of it. We season our recipe with some salt and pepper. Add some tomatoes and stir with green chili and cilantro as well.
- Immediately, serve your cheese dipper with some chips.