Call it Queen of all layer red velvet cakes, I love this homemade red velvet cake recipe and it’s my favorite cake ever. This is the sweet marriage of these ingredients buttermilk and vanilla having a little cocoa for good measure. The cake is completely covered with silky cheese frosting. If you may ask me I am in love and crazy with this velvet cake, it’s delicious and yummy. I want to share with you this obsession. Let’s make one silky cream cheese red velvet cake recipe for ourselves. What do we need?
INGREDIENTS FOR HOMEMADE RED VELVET CAKE Recipe
- Cakes flour (3 cups)
- Baking soda ( 1 teaspoon is enough)
- natural cocoa powder that is unsweetened(2 tablespoons are enough)
- half of teaspoon salt
- Half of butter that is unsalted and softened. (room temperature)
- two cups of sugar(granulated)
- one cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- Four large eggs. (room temperature, separated)
- one tablespoon of distilled white vinegar
- a liquid or red food colorings gel
- one cup of at room temperature buttermilk
FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 450g of blocking cream cheese full fat, softened to room temperature.
- 660g or ¾ of unsalted butter (at a room temperature softened)
- one and half teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt to taste
Let’s preheat our oven up to 350 degrees. We grease our two cake pans 9-inch. Next is to line it with our parchment paper after that we grease the parchment paper as well. The importance of our parchment paper is to make our cake seamlessly release from our pan.
- This is fun let’s make the cake, my favorite part. We are going to whisk the flour, baking powder, and the slat as well together in our large bowl and set it aside.
- Turning to our job waiting stand mixer having lifted with attachment paddle. Beat together sugar and the butter on high medium speed until you see it combined for about one minute. With our rubber spatula let’s scrap down the sides up and bottom as required. Excellent! That is what I call baking together as a team. What next.
- In our mixer lets add our oil, egg yolk, the vanilla extract as well as vinegar. We beat them under high speed for around two minutes. Please note: set the egg white aside. Let’s scrap the sides, up as well as the bowl bottom with our rubber spatula as required.
- Having our mixer on the speed that is low let’s add our dry ingredient in 2-3 additions utilizing buttermilk as an alternative. We beat the amount of desired food as we color until we see it combined. Let’s use one to two spoon of food coloring gel. On high speed, we beat or whisk our egg whites fluffy peaks look for about three minutes. Congratulations! You are doing great on this. Our next step is here.
- Gently, we are going to fold our cake batter to make it slightly thick and silky. We divide the batter between the cake pans and 30 to 31 minutes or when you see the top of the cake spring back when gently touched and when we insert our toothpick, it comes out clean. Don’t be in a hurry just keep calm and bake for longer but be cautioned not to over bake. The cake may dry out.
Let’s remove our cake from the oven and permit it to cool on a wire rack completely. The cooling of the cake is so much important before frosting as well as assembling.
- Great, now we have our cake baked and ready for the next step of perfecting it. Bring to life the look of velvet cake. Let’s make now the frosting. Using our handheld or a stand mixer, in a large bowl, we are fit it with the paddle attachment. Let’s beat together the cheese cream as well as butter on high medium speed until you see it smooth for around two minutes. You should to add the confectioners’ sugar and the vanilla extract as well as a pinch of salt. We are going to beat on the speed that is low for around 30 seconds then maximize to high speed and beat for around 3 minutes until combined completely and creamy.
We must add more of confectioners’ sugar, this is if the frosting is too thin or even we can add a salt pinch if the frosting is so sweet.
- Let’s turn now to our large serrated knife and we slice a top thin layer of our homemade red velvet cake to create a flat surface. We are going to discard or crumble over the finished cake. The next step is to place our one cake layer on our cake stand. Here we cover with the frosting our cake with a second layer and spread the rest of the frosting. On this level, we use an icing spatula and bench scrapper in our process of frosting.
- In our baking, we are going to put into practice our Wilton piping tip for decoloring around the top. In our fridge, we refrigerate our cake for around 30 to 60 minutes before we can slice. For ensuring shape maintenance of the cake during cutting. Cake or over the rest of the cake tightly storing it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The frosted cake or unfrosted cake be in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.